Senator Durbin’s Conflicts of Interest
It is well known about Minority Whip Durbin’s lobbying business and the millions his wife made while lobbying for Illinois clients. The Better Government Association recently published an investigation entitled: As Chicago Scrambled in Early Days of Coronavirus, Political Ties Helped Win No-Bid Contracts.” The Report details the actions of Senator Durbin’s Campaign Chief Greg Bales, lobbying on behalf of five companies to the City and State. Sen. Durbin’s 37 years in office has clouded his judgment. He sees nothing wrong with his campaign chief’s actions. He believes that conflicts of interest do not apply to him or his staff. Please read the report, it is shocking: https://www.bettergov.org/news/as-chicago-scrambled-in-early-days-of-coronavirus-political-ties-helped-win-no-bid-contracts/.
Insider Deals and Conflicts:
- During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic The Howard Elliott Collection, Inc., an Addison based manufacturer of decorative mirrors and other high-end furnishings became the City of Chicago’s largest supplier of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Better Government Association (BGA)
- The Howard Elliott Collection, Inc. furniture company was recommended for a no-bid contract with the city of Chicago by Sen. Durbin’s campaign manager Greg Bales (BGA)
- The Howard Elliott Collection, Inc., received a $1.5 million no-bid contract with the city of Chicago. The furniture company also received a contract for PPE with the state of Illinois (BGA)
The following is a quote from Chicago Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady: The Howard Elliott Collection is traditionally a furniture/hard goods manufacturer, based in Chicago and with on-ground presence in China. The city of Chicago learned about The Howard Elliott Collection through Sen. Dick Durbin’s Team—specifically Greg Bales (Durbin Campaign Manager) (BGA)
- In fact, Sen. Durbin’s campaign manager recommended five companies to the city of Chicago to provide PPE. Several of the companies have long-standing ties to the Democratic Party. Three of the five companies were given contracts with the City of Chicago (BGA)
- Sen. Durbin’s campaign manager acted as an unregistered lobbyist for the companies he recommended to one of Mayor Lightfoot’s staffers. Interestingly, the staffer is on Mayor Lightfoot's campaign payroll and Sen. Durbin’s campaign payroll (BGA)
Lobbyist: A person who takes part in an organized attempt to influence legislators.
Conflict of Interest: A situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity.
Dr. Willie Wilson is a humanitarian and businessman. He is an independent candidate for the United States Senate. For more information please contact Dr. Wilson at www.williewilsonforsenate2020.com
Paid for by Willie Wilson for Senate