Minority Whip Durbin has served in Washington, DC for 37 consecutive years. Since 1983, Sen. Durbin has been in the House and Senate. Let’s examine Sen. Durbin’s record over 37 years. Are you better off today than you were 37 years ago? Sen. Durbin has failed to bring economic development to the South and West sides of Chicago and to East St. Louis, Illinois.
Sen. Durbin has destroyed families and lives because of his votes and policies. He has sought to enrich himself, family members, former staffers, and friends through his office. Sen. Durbin has failed to close racial disparities in health care and the criminal justice system. He has failed to stem the tide of corruption in Illinois and people leaving the state. This race is about Sen. Durbin’s failed record. He does not deserve another six years in Washington, DC.
Bad Votes, Policies, and a Failure to Stand up for Illinois:
- Sen. Durbin voted for and championed the 1994 Crime Bill. Today, people of color make up 37 percent of the U.S. Population but 67 percent of the prison population (The Sentencing Project);
- The Crime Bill provided $12.5 billion for states to build more prisons, jails and disproportionately locked up African Americans and Hispanics (Brennan Center for Justice);
- Sen. Durbin’s vote for the $30.2 billion Crime Bill helped the private prison industry (Baltimore Sun)
- In Chicago, 70 percent of COVID-19 deaths are African Americans, despite making up 30 percent of the population. And statewide African Americans account for 41 percent of the deaths. Blacks are dying at greater rates because of racial disparities in health care (WTTW and WBEZ)
- Sen. Durbin’s campaign chief Greg Bales recommended five companies to supply the city of Chicago with medical supplies. Three of the five companies received no-bid contracts from the city of Chicago. All of the companies had deep ties to the Democratic Party. The person Mr. Bales worked with at city hall is on both Sen. Durbin’s, and Mayor Lightfoot’s, campaign payrolls (Better Government Association)
- In 1983, Durbin began his service in Congress. Durbin’s wife began lobbying in 1998 and retired in 2014, Durbin acknowledged occasional overlap in which his wife’s clients received federal help (Chicago Tribune)
- Sen. Durbin has been the second most powerful Democrat since 2005. Since 2010, more than 5,600 people have been shot and killed in Chicago (New York Times) There were more people killed in Chicago since 2010, than soldiers killed in the Afghanistan war.
- East St. Louis, Illinois a predominately Black city (97 percent) had 453 murders from 2000 to 2018, and 340 remain unsolved. You are 19 times more likely to be murdered in East St. Louis than in the average U.S. city (Belleville News Democrat)
- Sen. Durbin has been the second most powerful Democrat since 2005 in Washington DC. In 1960, African American poverty in Chicago was 29.7 percent. In 2020, African American poverty in Chicago is 30.69 percent (Census Bureau)
- According to the Chicago Tribune “since the turn of the decade, Illinois has lost more residents than any other state, with a drop of about 159,700 people.” According to the U.S. Census Bureau study of worker migration from Illinois to other states shows 166,120 workers left Illinois in 2015, compared to 135, 516 in 2012.
- The following are just some of the major corporations that have left Illinois in the last ten years: Brach’s Candy Company, General Mills in West Chicago, Mondelez International in Chicago, Jelly Belly, Food Warming Equipment Company, Kenall Manufacturing, and Butterball LLC in Montgomery. When those companies left, their tax revenues and jobs with them. (When Work Disappears)
Sen. Durbin and the Democrat Party are employing dirty tactics by pulling up my yard signs and trying to bully people into voting for him. A vote for me is a vote for independence and integrity. It is a vote for people over politics. Don’t be intimidated it is time for change!
Dr. Willie Wilson is a humanitarian and businessman. He is an independent candidate for the United States Senate. For more information please contact Dr. Wilson at www.williewilsonforsenate2020.com
Paid for by Willie Wilson for Senate