As we approach Halloween, it is important to point out the 37-year record of career politician Dick Durbin. The facts show his record has been more trick than treat. He has failed the citizens of Illinois on criminal justice, ethics, police reform, and health care. The facts below do not lie. Sen. Durbin has taken the people of Illinois for granted. He has put politics and partisanship ahead of people.
I will always put people first and take votes in the best interest of the people of Illinois. I will not seek to benefit financially from my office. I will fix the Affordable Care Act and I will not be beholden to lobbyists and corporate interests. Please check out the facts below and you decide. Thank you for voting.
The Real Sen. Dick Durbin: Trick or Treat:
- Minority Whip Dick Durbin voted for and championed the 1994 Crime Bill (Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act) (Senate.gov)
- The Crime Bill destroyed the lives of African American and Hispanic men and instituted three strikes and you are out provision that increased the number of people serving life sentences (The Sentencing Project)
- In 1986, Sen. Durbin was an original sponsor of R. 5484, The Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986. The Bill established a 100-to-1 sentencing disparity for crack versus powder cocaine, which produced staggering racial injustice in sentencing. Sen. Durbin voted yes on the Bill. (Congress.Gov)
- Durbin’s campaign manager Greg Bales recommended five companies to the city of Chicago to provide PPE. Several of the companies have long-standing ties to the Democratic Party. Three of the five companies were given no-bid contracts with the city of Chicago (BGA)
- Durbin’s wife began lobbying in 1998 and retired in 2014, Durbin acknowledged occasional overlap in which his wife’s clients received federal help (Chicago Tribune)
- Durbin Voted against legislation in 2007 that would have banned spousal lobbying (Washington Examiner)
- Black men in Chicago are more than twice as likely to die from prostate cancer than White men. The homicide rate for Blacks in Chicago is 39.3 percent compared to Whites at 2.5 percent. The primary and secondary syphilis case rate in Chicago for African Americans is 46.1 percent compared to 17.8 percent for Whites (Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities)
- Durbin led the Democrat's effort to effectively kill the Police Reform Bill in the Senate. The Police Reform Bill would have transformed the way police are trained and interact with communities. Sen. Durbin dismissed the legislation introduced by Sen. Tim Scott a Black Republican as a “token-half-hearted approach.” This was a procedural vote that failed 55-45 because it was blocked by Democrats. (CNN)
Dr. Willie Wilson is a humanitarian and businessman. He is an independent candidate for the United States Senate.
For more information please contact Dr. Wilson at www.williewilsonforsenate2020.com
Paid for by Willie Wilson for Senate